Beat the Heat in the Season of Pitta
I love the summer, it’s when I thrive. The big reason why, I believe, has to do with my Dosha, or “mind/body type” in the ancient Indian practice of Ayurveda.
I am Vata dominant. I also have a little Kapha in me, but absolutely no Pitta. You see, the Doshas are linked with the seasons, and right now we are in Pitta season.
If you are Pitta dominant (find out what Dosha you are here), the summer months can cause spikes in irritability, anger, and impatience. Pitta dominant people also have sensitive skin and inflammatory conditions, so a day at the beach may be more grueling than relaxing.
Looking for ways to calm your Pitta? Here are some of my top tips for staying cool in the season of Pitta:
The Pitta-pacifying diet
- The Pitta Dosha is calmed by grains, beans, sweet fruits, and bitter greens.
- Keep it cool with uncooked foods like salads, cold grain bowls, smoothies, and cold pasta salads.
Some examples of Pitta-pacifying foods are:
-Fruit: apples, apricots, berries, coconut, grapes, mangos, melon, pineapple, papaya
-Vegetables: avocado, asparagus, bell peppers, broccoli, cabbage, cilantro, kale, cucumber
-Most grains expect rice, beans, soft cheeses, yogurt, nuts, and seeds are good for Pitta
- Drinking your weight in water as well as natural fruit juices and coconut water.
- Slather your skin in moisturizer, use hydrating mists throughout the day, and try this coconut oil based DIY body scrub.
Stay Cool while you move
- Pitta season is a good time to do more Restorative, Yin, and Slow Flow yoga classes.
- Water sports like swimming, surfing, or Kayaking are also highly beneficial for Pitta types. Don’t forget your sunscreen!
- Now is not the time to be overly ambitious. In the summer, Pittas should make less commitments and have more down time. You don’t have to say yes to everything.
- Have a daily meditation practice, preferably at the same time every morning or evening.
- Rest more. Go to bed early and take naps.
When in doubt, do what feel best for you. Your body will always let you know what you need if you take the time to listen. Happy summer!